Monday 14 April 2014

Bearing: Twins and Burdens; That are not Burdens


Dear family and friends

I am enjoying the last few days I have in the best companionship in the history of life!  I wish my time with Sister Johnson and Sister Black didn't have to end but I know I am needed else where. Tomm evening I pick up my ASL Twin Greenies. Sister Scow and Sister Edmunds whom will have just arrived from the MTC. Tomorrow I also will have one month left in DC and then I will be back on Temple Square... Wow time is just flying by!

This week has been awesome! So many spiritual experiences, so many prepared people here in Poolesville. We have 2 investigators on date, namely D the drama mom in all her glory at the end of May. And T our new investigator will be baptized around the same time we hope. We had a scary/exciting experience with T when we went to visit her Saturday night. We hadn't planned to visit that night as we were visiting less actives. No one was home of course and we had the choice of going and visiting one more and going to T's and seeing how she was. She hadn't been able to get to keep our last appointment and we wanted to set another time to meet with her. When we came by she was upset and discouraged. We tried to cheer her with some scriptures and a bible video, but after a prayer she still wasn't feeling it. None of us were, it was like something was blocking the spirit there. Tina became more upset and to make a long night short. We just held her, comforted her and prayed with her. 

The whole time I was thinking of my baptismal covenants and comforting those that stand in need of comfort. Through out my mission I have been learning more and more about what covenants I made at baptism. The biggest one being, standing as a witness of Christ at all times and in all things and in all places. What does that mean? Well I will let you do your own research. It often takes a lot more then we are doing, but I really have enjoyed thinking about what Alma says in Mosiah Chapter 8:

8 And it came to pass that he said unto them: Behold, here are the waters of Mormon (for thus were they called) and now, as ye are desirous to come into the fold of God, and to be called his people, and are willing to bear one another’s burdens, that they may be light;

9 Yea, and are willing to mourn with those that mourn; yea, and comfort those that stand in need of comfort, and to stand as witnesses of God at all times and in all things, and in all places that ye may be in, even until death, that ye may be redeemed of God, and be numbered with those of the first resurrection, that ye may have eternal life--

10 Now I say unto you, if this be the desire of your hearts, what have you against being baptized in the name of the Lord, as a witness before him that ye have entered into a covenant with him, that ye will serve him and keep his commandments, that he may pour out his Spirit more abundantly upon you?
(Mosiah 18:8-10)

I invite all of you who have been baptized to study these few short verses and apply them to your lives and help others prepare to apply them to theirs' as they enter the fold as well. 

I hope you all have a great week! 
Remember you are Braver than you Believe, Stronger than you Seem and Smarter than you Think!
Sister Bascom

No comments:

Post a Comment