Friday 11 July 2014

Salvation is NOT a cheap Experience


Dear Family and Friends,
This morning I was reading about eternal marriage in Preach My Gospel and I just loved the quote from The Family Proclamation to the world. https://www.lds.org/topics/family-proclamation I'm just so glad we have the guidance that we do in these days from the prophets :) I also just found a talk that talks about husbands and wives becoming equal partners. Hope you all enjoy it.https://www.lds.org/ensign/2007/08/crossing-thresholds-and-becoming-equal-partners?lang=eng.

I love how my family has been doing family history and this is what my mom shared with me:
"Your biblical lineage goes like this Adam, Seth, Noah, Shem, Jacob, Judah….You then go into the royal lineage of Troy (turkey) You are related to Odysseus, Your aunt is Helen of Troy, Charlemagne, Your 64 great aunt was married to Titus the 10th emperor of Rome, other emperors of Rome and royal lineage of the following countries: France, Netherlands,Germany and England. Pretty cool!"
I LOVE family history, I truly believe as we get to know our ancestors and they become more apart of our lives they can be there to aid us in our time here on earth.

There was a lots of antis (Mom note: Antis are people that are TRAINED and actively try to peach us out of what we believe. Many of them travel to SLC on buses from great distances to go on tours on Temple Square. Their goal is to prevent the sisters from sharing their messages with others by adding a negative influence and to  their tours.They also clog up the phone lines in the call centre to prevent the sisters from answer questions by others that sincerely desire to know more. They get joy out of bringing the sisters to tears.) on the square this week. Sister Peters and I have been talking about the best way to address them. Mostly we are doing our best to treat them like the children of God that they are and help them see us and treat us like the children of God that we are. They don't want to hear our message. So we don't really share it much. We just invite them to learn without prejudice. But most of the time we just want to slap their faces.... but we don't.. promise. But honestly antis are a blessing in a way because I hate not having an answer for them. So I find  an answer to every question they ask me. I don't always share the answer with them (They don't want an answer. They want a fight and to tear down your faith.), but I know in my heart why I believe that and it strengthens my testimony without a doubt. I actually really really enjoy it. Antis are a blessing :)

4th of July was pretty good, Jdogs were awesome (it was really just the sauces) and Sister Peters and I dressed in the colors of America. Our room mate Sister Lunndule is awesome and made me a Canadian flag and her an American flag and printed pictures us all dressed up fro both days :) http://slctemplesquaremission.blogspot.ca

Sister Peters and I are still working hard and not feeling the greatest success when it comes to baptisms at least. We have such high hopes for our investigators and they seem so ready. But all to often they disappear and we don't hear from them again.... This is the hard part about missionary work. Like Elder Holland said "Anyone who does any kind of missionary work will have occasion to ask, Why is this so hard? Why doesn’t it go better? Why can’t our success be more rapid? Why aren’t there more people joining the Church? It is the truth. We believe in angels. We trust in miracles. Why don’t people just flock to the font? Why isn’t the only risk in missionary work that of pneumonia from being soaking wet all day and all night in the baptismal font?" I ask myself this so so so often these days.... but I love his answer: "I am convinced that missionary work is not easy because salvation is not a cheap experience. Salvation never was easy." I just keep telling myself this. I keep telling myself to just work to have the spirit with you and you will succeed. My one ray of hope on my mission has been a women that recently got baptized A. She is now divorced from her anti husband and is trying to be the best example of Christ that she can be to her kids, so someday they will too make the decision to join God's true church to the earth. I too hope that they will make that decision and I will be there to see it happen.

Remember you are Braver than you Believe, Stronger than you Seem and Smarter than you Think!
Love Sister Bascom


No comments:

Post a Comment